I was able to knock out two more pairs of socks over the past week. Both of them were unique construction for me. First we have the Two-Yarn Resoleable Socks from IK's Favorite Socks. They start out like any other top-down sock, but then you split the instep and sole separately, attaching the sole to the instep with ssks and k2togs. Then you knit the toe in the sole yarn. They were pretty fun and seemed to go quickly since the 'pieces' were knit separately. I don't know that I would ever resole them if they needed it, but it is cool to know that it is possible! Mine are a little different where the instep stitches are picked up because by force of habit I always pick up and knit twisted - I think it looks cool. Here's the stats:
- Pattern - Two-Yarn Resolable Socks from IK's Favorite Socks
- Yarn - Knitpicks Bare Merino. The pink was dyed by me, and the fruit-loopy color was dyed by my Dye-o-Rama pal
- Needles - US Size 1
- Took me - About a week
- Comments - These were really fun to knit and I think I can see another pair in my future!
My second pair is also from the Favorite Socks book, Up-Down Spiral Sox. These were unique for me because I had never done an afterthought heel. I like the idea, but I don't know how great I did picking up the few stitches needed. These are not my greatest socks knit ever, I was a little fiddly with the slip stiches and there is some uneven tension there. I figure they will look better after washing. I mostly needed to get a quick pair of socks done so I could catch up on the 52 Pair Plunge, and I succeeded there. I now have 17 pairs out of 52, and I'm basically right on track as far as getting one pair per week done. Here's the stats on these:
- Pattern - Up-Down Spiral Sox from IK's Favorite Socks
- Yarn - The blue and green are Cascade 220, the bright spiral yarn is Knitpicks Wool of the Andes, dyed by me
- Needles - US Size 5, I did the Magic Loop method
- Took me - 3 days
- Comments - This was my first time doing the afterthought heel and I didn't do great, but it turned out okay.